It’s hard to ignore the health benefits of exercise and physical activity. It makes you feel better, for one thing. Other than that, you’ll trim down and look good, too. It doesn’t matter what age, gender or physical activity you have. You can sweat it out and enjoy the benefits of exercise. Exercise can basically improve your life. What are the benefits of exercise?
- Weight reduction and management. If you’re overweight, working out can make you lose weight. Or if you’ve finally lost weight, you can maintain your figure through the right exercise program. Physical activity burns calories. If you exercise more intensely, you’ll burn more calories, too. It doesn’t matter if you don’t devote many hours for your physical activity. If you can’t work out at the gym, you can make your physical activity your lifestyle. Doing chores at home can make you sweat and burn calories. So does taking the stairs instead of the elevator. These are simple activities that you can substitute for exercise.
- Combat diseases and other health conditions. Exercising boosts the level of HDL or high density lipoprotein in your body while reducing the levels of unhealthy fats. That’s why with regular physical activity, you can ward off heart disease and high-blood pressure. Your blood circulation becomes smooth and in turn decreases your risks for developing cardiovascular disease. Other conditions that can be managed with the help of exercise are type 2 diabetes, stroke, arthritis, metabolic syndrome, some cancers and depression.
- Better mood and a positive attitude. Working out in the gym or simply taking a 30-minute walk can give you an emotional lift after a stressful day. Getting physically active stimulates feel-good and happy hormones in your brain. Exercising regularly also makes you feel good about your appearance, consequently improving your confidence and self-esteem.
- Boosts energy. You can improve your physical strength and endurance if you work out. You don’t easily get tired when you’re doing household chores or are grocery shopping. Oxygen and nutrients are better delivered to your tissues which result to a more efficient cardiovascular health. Your heart and lungs are in healthier condition, giving you more energy to do your work.
- Better and more restful sleep. Exercise can combat sleep problems and disorders. If you have difficulty falling or staying asleep, physical activity will help you get rid of these problems. That is, you’ll fall sleep faster and have deeper sleep. But don’t exercise before bedtime because you’ll be too energized to doze off.
- Healthier and improved sex life. You’ll feel and look better if you exercise regularly. What’s more, it makes you more energetic. As a result, you won’t be too tired to enjoy physical intimacy. In fact, you’ll be in better shape which makes you feel good about yourself and improve your sex life. In women, exercise results to enhanced arousal for intimacy, while men are more likely to do away with erectile dysfunction.
- A fun and worthwhile hobby. You can spend your time exercising rather than get bored at home. You can relax while you engage in physical activity or enjoy working out in the outdoors. You can foster better relationships with friends and family if you exercise together. You can make friends with other members of your class if you join a dance class or have a fun time with your BFF while hiking trails. The same goes if you join a soccer team. You can always find new ways to be physically and have fun as you reap the health benefits of exercise.
By Walter H Menuet.